Thursday 19 April 2012

More of the same really

The Saga of the bike repairs continues.
Having contacted BMW Santiago and been told that my bike would "probably" be ready yesterday (Weds) I contacted them again to ask if it was ready to collect?

Not only is it not ready, the Damper has not even arrived from Germany. Supposing they ordered it when I delivered the bike to them - that is 4 weeks! My impression of the postal system of South America is not improved by this news. Especially as it also appears to be impossible to have my new credit card delivered to me securely. The scene at the Post Office in Buenos Aires seems like years ago but nothing has changed.

Better still, they think it is another 2 weeks away from being delivered!!! As you can imagine, I am not best pleased! I have told them if it is not ready by 5th May I am taking it anyway. I will take my chances with it through Bolivia and Peru rather than sit in Santiago any longer.

Had a nice lunch with Max, the Chilean guy I met in Pucon some weeks ago. He is keen to do the next bit North but is hamstrung by work. He makes promotional videos for companies in Chile. He did offer to make one of my trip north but it was too expensive, it would also appear to be a terrible ego trip (not as if that would stop me).

I doubt it will happen but we will talk again when i get back from the UK.

One piece of good news. I switched to private lessons from the interminable classroom conjugation of verbs. It is just want I needed, pure conversational Spanish with Alejandra correcting my pronunciation - so that will be every sentence then! Still, I must be getting better. We got on to religion and I can now trash the Pope & the Catholic faith in two languages! Progress at last. Surprisingly she hadn't heard of Christopher Hitchens - well she has now!

I will have to think about packing for my flight back to the UK for Millie (21) & Rosie's (18) birthday parties. I hope to get the opportunity to embarrass them with some typical Dad dancing in front of their friends!

In actual fact it doesn't take any thinking about. I won't bother to take a bag as I only have 3 shirts, 2 shorts and 1 pair of socks so they may as well stay in Santiago.

Recently got an interesting bit of  news from Wilks who has been doing his Bear Grils impression up the Amazon in Peru. I don't believe anything swam up his todger but clearly his bowels are in less than perfect working order! I don't envy the person he is sat next to on the 14 hour flight back to the UK!

Shows I am short of information on my own trip to have to drag the level down to lavatorial humour (and even that is not my own story).

See you in the UK.
.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Delbert, I had the most fantastic time deep in the Amazon Rain Forest but of all the most unbelievable experiences I had the fact a bug might have got the better of my bowels over the last week would probably not be my chosen conversation starter?
    Have a good fligh home but some us still have to suffer a few more days on Copacabana beach before returning, to help aid recovery you understand?
    Regards ( a very slim ) Wilks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to read the news about the dampers. Just wonder if it would be worth taking a set back with you after the birthday parties to help speed up your departure from Santiago or would customs prove too difficult ?!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I also add, May I take it the big fat city bonus and golden handshake cheques have been banked and you now feel you can come out and show your undying love and support for Che G and Hitch ?
    Not bad since March 14th, champagne rebel in 30 days, look forward to a glass with you and probably Tony Benn.

    ReplyDelete