Saturday 7 April 2012

Easter Island final day


The only bit of the Island left to see was walking distance from the main town, the only town, Hanga Roa.
It is a nice walk north along the coast and you quickly walk in to more Moai at Tahai. They have replaced the eyes in this one to show what they would have looked like in period. Obviously the originals were all stolen years ago.
Rather than take the red earth road i thought i would hug the cliff top pathway, which was fine for a while. Unfortunately the path soon disappeared and i was left scrambling over lava flows. Not a great idea in flip my flops. Obviously this few kilometres took longer than i thought and being really stupid I hadn't taken a hat or any water. Luckily it clouded over so wasn't in danger of sun or heat stroke, just stubbed toes.

I eventually got to the cliffs where caves were marked on the map. I assumed they would be like the ones I saw on the first day - large open & light. Nope, the entrance was a tiny hole in the top of the cliff which you had to bend double to enter. Apart from hat and water, I hadn't brought a torch! So rather than risk falling to my death i just enjoyed the views of the sea. I content myself with the fact that I have not seen any stunning pictures of their caves so I assume I did not miss much, other than a sore head to match my sore toes.
I came back via the Moai and, as if too prove the point that "Birdman" had supremacy over the ancestors, this Hawk sat (or is that shat) on the Moai as I walked past. (another great wildlife shot that will trump Wilks Lama scratching it's arse).
 
Wandering back in to town I saw "Rough Bounds" heading out to sea, down wind with just his Genoa up. He was heading to Pitcairn another 1,250 miles away (population 100 and a incestuous paedophiles to boot).
I think I forgot to say that he originally started from Canada with his 23 year old nephew who had just recovered from a lung transplant. By the time they got to Florida he was rejecting the new lung.........he died shortly afterwards but sent a message that he should continue the voyage for his sake.

I was glad to buy him a beer and wish him Good Luck on his 2 year, round the world trip in a 30' boat built in the 1960's!!!

A beer seemed a good idea after my long walk in the sun. It took me this long to discover they had a local brew. A bit too sweet for my taste and a fair amount of sludge at the bottom of the bottle. I don't think the Fursty Ferret is under any serious competition from the Easter Island Brewing Company.

The kids had finished school (for Easter break I assume) and they all seemed to have Body boards and were larking about in the surf until sunset. Not a bad way to finish off the week.

I did my best to find some presents amongst the various stalls but i am afraid there was not much that drew the eye or the wallet. i didn't actually see a Thermometer stuck to the side of a statute (shame as managed to get an Eiffel tower with one for Phil once) but it seems such destinations are doomed to produce tacky tourist gifts.

It is a great island with wonderful sights and I am glad i made the trip, if you are ever heading this way 4 days is perfect as it really is a small island and the sights can be done easily in this time.So much so that Marko had managed to get on the same flight a day earlier than he planned (and he cycled the whole Island). Whilst waiting for the flight, they played a video and it looks like they have some amazing diving here. I wish I had looked in to snorkeling (not being a diver).

I forgot to show just how accurately they cut the rock with only stone tools: This is a base of one of the Ahu's (altars that the Moai stand on)


Finally here is a modern day painting of Birdman (as if you are remotely interested!)

4 comments:

  1. Kevin,
    One suspects a slight tear in the eye, or at least a misty eye upon your departing Easter Island
    The story of your meeting with "Rough Bounds" and that of his nephew puts all sorts of things into perspective as far as I am concerned. Where do these people get their courage and hope from? And we think we have problems! Heroes all of them.
    Keep living the dream and what news of the dripping front fork?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a lovely place to visit but 4 days was enough. There are plenty of interesting people out there, travelling for there own reasons or just for the sheer pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please can I have the pleasure of typing the book that you're bound to be writing at the end of your travels/adventure? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kind offer but this is about as near a book as you will get! Anyway, it would take to long to correct all the grammar and spelling mistakes?

    ReplyDelete