Friday 31 August 2012

Goodbye Venezuela Hello Brazil

I had managed to get myself in quite a state of anxiety about exiting without the correct papers. A number of unpleasant intrigues were going through my mind (not least of which was the chap with his jeans round his ankles).

There was no need to rush as the Customs office didn't open until 8:00 and this was where I would have my trouble if any. I pulled up to the border post and was pointed in the direction of an office. It is a smart new building with Chavez's name all over it. Why they have built such a smart one I don't know as there is no one trying to cross the border and certainly not much commercial traffic.

I was early so I sat in the waiting area as no one was there yet. The cleaning ladies, who had arrived, showed me that Customs was to the left of the entrance and Immigration to the right. The immigration officer turned up and invited me in to sort out my passport (normally you have to go through Customs first). He got straight down it and my exit stamp was in my passport.in no time. I left his office and walked back to the waiting area to see that the Customs guy had still not arrived. I decided to keep walking. I was pretty sure the "Squaddies" at the barrier wouldn't know that I hadn't done the bikes paperwork. I went out to the bike, fired up and headed to the Brazilian border post. How easy was that? You have no idea what a relief that was!
The initial impressions of Brazil were a little disappointing (not that I cared having got through)!I  assumed the rich man of the continent would have a nice post but they don't. I must have been in a Zen like trance because I promptly dropped the bike in front of the border guard. He kindly helped me pick it up and I did my best not to show that I had whacked my shin. To make it seem perfectly normal I got the camera out and took a few pictures.Bloody flag wouldn't play ball.

The Immigration officer spoke excellent English and my passport was validated for 90 days, off to the Customs. There was a small gaggle of guys there. They turned out to be going to Venezuela just to get fuel and return to Brazil with their booty. I am glad they think it is worth it because the lady at Customs, whilst polite, her nickname most definitely wasn't "Spitfire". Once I got to the front I was told I needed photo copies of everything (which I had) except the new piece of paper from Immigration. she pointed to the border town and off I trudged, it was about 36 degrees and I was wearing my bike gear (there was nowhere to leave it whilst I walked in to town. I eventually found the Stationers (for bikers - go in to the main street in town, turn left, go all the way to the end & at the PARE sign turn left and it is just there on your right (a large pencil standing on the pavement). They are cheap (you will need Reals).

Back to see the lady and to cut a long story short; about 2 hours to get my papers. I certainly wasn't going to leave without them again. I managed to exchange my Bolivars for Reals with the money men but they wouldn't take my US Dollars! I only had $10 and $20 bills, they only dealt in $50 & $100 bills. I have no idea why. It wasn't a problem though as the town had an ATM and I got enough Reals for a few days.


It seems to be a rule that the first 10 kms of road, when entering a new country, have to be terrible. Pot holes you could lose a car in and tarmac that had been laid with a spoon. Anyway it soon improved and we shot along to Boa Vista. The scenery wasn't great. I don't know if this was rain forest that has been cleared for grazing or if it has always been as it is.

Boa Vista is a nice mixture, so you can get pretty much what you need, but not so modern you don't feel like you are somewhere off the beaten track. There is very little traffic on the roads and that reminded me of Patagonia - it is a good deal hotter though! The lady in reception at the Ferrari Palace Hotel (£30 a night kids so don't panic) had a fantastic Caribbean accent so I was very surprised when she said she was Brazilian. An early night as I didn't sleep well last night and I have another long day tomorrow. I am very happy to be in Brazil



2 comments:

  1. Big D!!!!
    Did someone say Twickers and beer?
    Clara you are so right regarding Paralympics but feel for the athletes no getting full acclaim they deserve due to C4 appalling coverage, BBC really did drop a huge bollock on tender but LOCOG must have set a limit to the amount of advertising????
    Oh sorry about my rant back to some bloke on bike in SA?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give Thomas a call and be nice to him! I applied for some Autumn international tickets from the club so they should arrive just before the matches. Smelly normally gets tickets too so you can all meet somewhere for a pint & or curry.

    Now put your soap box back in the cupboard.

    ReplyDelete