Sunday 12 August 2012

Colombian Security for you

The hotel in Pasto was nice but very noisy so I was awake early and headed off on what was a short ride in distance but long in time. More twisty roads through the hills avoiding trucks where ever possible.

I was surprised that the countryside was so brown but it is their dry season. i stopped to take this picture in the middle of nowhere and out of the hedge popped a lady with many years but few teeth. She talked away and I think was saying that she was standing in all she had in the world. I gave her 10,000 pesos and she broke in to a gummy smile - amazing what you can do with £3.

 The Army is in evidence at most strategic places like the bridges and any decent size village. I stopped for a swig of water and a chat with these guys. From what I could gather they all have to do 2 years National Service and had been left here to guard the bridge all day! Sorry to disappoint Wilks but not a rubber glove in sight!

It only occurred to me afterwards that, if they wanted to keep my bike there wasn't anything I could do about it!

I stopped halfway at Popayan for fuel and some lunch. I also tried to get some cash but my bloody bank card has stopped working again. I have spent so much time (and money) waiting on the phone to sort this out with the bank - "your call is important to us" my arse! I will also incur their bloody charges for using my credit card for getting cash out!
I did remember to take a picture of their fruit stalls (although I think those in Ecuador were slightly better.

Cali is a large, low rise urban sprawl but with a lot of green spaces but a very grotty river running through it. Perhaps it cleans itself up a bit in the rainy season.


I was a bit disheartened when i got a map from the hotel which included the top 20 attractions................ 
 This sculpture is one of them!

It has some nice tree lined avenues and with a backdrop of the hills it is not all bad. I wasn't too sure how far one could wander in the neighbourhood but the other limiting factor was the heat, 2 hours outside was enough for me. I have probably seen more beggars in this town than any other on the tour.
If I was unsure of the streets in the day time I certainly wasn't wandering around on my own at night.
At the hotel, I kept bumping in to a US pilot with his impossibly gorgeous Colombian girlfriend. He is on secondment to help with drug crime, flying a "mini AWAC" plane around the area. He was meant to be elsewhere but it was easy to see why he had skipped down to Cali for a few days! The reason we chatted was that he has a Ducati 848 as well. It seems bikers will always find each other in a crowd.

I would concur with the often made comment that the Colombian women are the most attractive. Whilst not all are models they certainly seem to be a very attractive race. Someone told me that they have had more Miss Worlds than any other country. Another Pub Quiz winner for you!

One last word on the Olympics - the sports and news coverage has been very positive with glowing reports of just how good it was. So it is not just the Brits who think it was brilliant.





10 comments:

  1. I don't think we've heard the last word here about the Olympics! My feet are just coming back down to terra ferma having been so fortunate to get to several of the events. I will never forget it. Columbia got 8 medals, by the way. This week is going to feel rather flat after the last two of euphoria. There is always the Paralympics?! No, I think I would end up divorced if I disappeared again! There's a limit to how many salads a man can eat! Maybe Rio - now there's a thought!
    Enjoyed catching up with your 'spills and exploits' at Galapagos! especially the cheeky sea lions and of course............the boobies!
    Safe travels.

    Clara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The question is: Were you cheering for Britain or Kenya? MA has an even bigger dilemma with the addition of Denmark.

      Delete
    2. Cheering for both which is a bit tricky sometimes but I just love watching the Kenyan athletes, tho' they had a bad games.Check out the 800 m runner - a wonderful athelete. I can imagine having to cheer on three countries would be a real dilemma - one would have to watch that much more of it all - oh heck!!

      Delete
  2. Morning Clara, do not take Henry to Rio his poor heart couldn't take it!
    I was lucky enough to go to the men's triathlon with two French guys, perfect they pushed to front opposite the start and finish line and took me with them, only to watch France come 4th and 5th and the Brownlee brothers dominate! Carlsberg don't do day's but if they did.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you didn't bring up the fact that you often go on holiday to Poitiers, Crecy, Agincourt & Waterloo.

      I have seen Chris at a few race meetings, inviting young ladies to sit in the Old Nail (at least I think that is what he said) and his heart seems to be able to take quite a bit!

      I suspect there will be an additional comment along the lines "did you know I am a Le Mans winner my dear?!)

      I will now await the anorak comment that I have the battles in the wrong order!

      Delete
    2. Hello Wilks, Henry would be very happy to risk it, at least he would die a very happy man!! - What a way to go would be his repost!!

      What a great event to have been at. I think we would have got the silver too if younger bro had not been penalised. Sorry for your froggy friends - not!! Clara

      Delete
  3. I much appreciate Wilk's concern for my fragile heart and in order to give it some sort of Litmus test, perhaps you could include a few photos of the fabulous Columbian birds you so clearly recommend - and I dont mean the boobies ....or on second thoughts.....

    Must run, I have a carnival to practice for/go to. Henry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kev I'm sure that while you've been cruising around the place a question has been on your mind the entire time the Olympics was on. What country did Brett support during the Olympics? Well, I'm glad you asked really. So it turns out that all three of my countries (SA, NZ, Aus) only achieved
    16 golds and 54 medals combined, and GB got 29 golds and 65 medals in total. So, to answer your question... I supported Britain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had forgotten you have more passports than Jason Bourne but we are delighted to adopt you as a Brit Brett.

    I hope you were wearing the boxers (by the way they were a gift from Henry & Clara who you may bump in to on this blog)

    Have you booked skiing for Christmas (and I don't mean Adam)?


    Slow Loris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the boxers made it to Norway on the weekend with Jayse... will have to check that.
    Christmas is still WIP, looking at all the packages at the moment. Going to have to get a move on, time is ticking. Will keep the clan updated.

    ReplyDelete