Tuesday 28 August 2012

Orinoco but no Wombles


It was another long slog to the next town, El Tigre, so I was up and out early, so early the hotel was locked and I had to wake someone up to let me and the bike out. It was 6:30 so I didn't feel I was being unreasonable.

There had been a Thunderstorm in the night which had cleared to leave a nice morning. The trouble was that it had brought down rocks, earth and trees on to the road. Also there was some muddy "lakes" across the road which were fun! Some locals stand by the piles with one shovel between about six of them. They like to give the impression that they are clearing it for you and rattle a cup at you for some cash.. The trouble is that it is not in their interests to clear it quickly to maximise the revenue.

Once down the hill there wasn't a lot to see but fairly flat green scrub, so not many picture opportunities. I did have a laugh with some locals when I stopped for a drink. Sunday seems to be a day when the men sit around in bars and drink beer. They keep score by keeping all the bottles in from of them.

This lady wanted me to throw away my tyres and come with me! To be fair, she would have been bringing her own spare tyres!


Further on I stopped again. The guys were well in to their beers by the afternoon. They liked the bike but were really interested in the map on my saddle bag. I assume they had never seen their town on a map before.


I got in to El Tigre and was a bit dumbfounded. On the internet I was amazed to find only very expensive hotels so I wanted to find something cheaper when I got here. Turns out I must have been looking at a different El Tigre (are there two?). Not only were there no expensive hotels, I was lucky to find one at all! It was cheap but clean. You wouldn't want to spend two nights there.

It was about time I had a short trek and today was the day, about three hours to Ciudada Guayana. My morning check of the oil and tyres revealed a nail in my, fairly new, rear tyre. It was bound to happen sooner or later and I was lucky that it must have happened late yesterday. There was enough pressure to drive around town to find somewhere to change the tyre (for the one I had bought in Medellin) and luckily, repair the damaged one, which has still got some life in it. I was regretting not buying a new front as well. It is ok and the spare is has a little life left in it but I would be happier with a new one to see me to the end.

Ciudad Guayana is on the Orinocco, a big lazy river and another large concrete bridge (not my picture again) to get to it. It is a smart modern town with some nice buildings. 
Too many shopping malls for my taste. I don't understand Venezuela - desperately poor on the West (where the oil is) but clearly a lot of money here in the East. The Malls have all the brands and I didn't see any empty shop unit. Also the cars are modern over here. A pity as I rather liked the 70's Americana burbling around.

I have taken an extra day here to have a break from long days (the next section will be a long one). Although this hotel has a pool, it is just too hot to be outside for very long. I was out there long enough to chat to two daughters of the the hotel manager. In a stuttering conversation it transpired that the 23 year old likes Dutch guys. I showed her a picture of Rick (a colleague). she was smitten and asked me to send her picture to him! So even when Rick is thousands of miles away he can still pull the girls! Tomorrow should get me near to the Brazilian border. 

8 comments:

  1. Huh..hmmmm.... what are you doing carrying a picture of a geezer around with you? It's the same the world over then... it sounds like any Sunday at the Digby Tap! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Team photo from when we went Skiing in Austria, nothing gay about it I can assure you.

      No, these are a bunch of lazy old sods............Oh I see what you mean!

      Delete
  2. Does she want a photo of your brother Dick Van Wilks ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin,
    Pics 1 & 2 seem to me to me to sum up your journey to date.
    No1 shows the grandjour and scale of the landscape (microcosom or otherwise) whilst No2 shows the scale of the beast you are riding. Us London sloths are aware of the machine but this pic for some reason shows it better than most to the uneducated as compared to the regular Honda 50 we see in the street most days.
    No reportable news from this side of the pond but looking forward to the Ryder Cup now the Captains pics are sorted out. We are now into the Para Olympics for which great support and pride other than for the Channel 4 coverage!!
    On a personal level missing the Henry/Clara thoughts so must now retire for a furtive Ferrit or equivalent!
    Onwards and upwards mon brave

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can assure you I never rode that beast......... oh sorry you meant the bike!

    We will tempt Henry & Clara out for a pint, they are partial to a bit of rugby too so perhaps at Twickenham for a 6 Nations match?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he has turned the corner David!! It's onwards and downwards now! Always up for an outing to Twickenham and so will look forward to that.

    I do hope they let you out of Venezuela without a problem Delbert. That experience in the shed sounded very scary - I don't blame you for getting out so quickly. We are off on another of our binges! Off to France/Spain in the E-type for 2 weeks. We don't quite feel ready to succumb to Autumn so are going in search of some warmth and sunshine - hopefully!

    I am very sorry to be missing most of the Paralympics tho' - these athletes are truly inspirational. I would only blub myself dry if I was here so probably just as well!
    Look forward to catching up with the blog on our return. Safe travels. Clara X

    P.S. - Oh, did you see that each Team 5 member has also won a helmet - they only do motorbike helmets and it's really cool, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not another holiday! some people...........
    I tried to persuade Mike to get the helmet for his Elan - would look good in that but he prefers to stick with his own. It is nice having all the presents being offered!

    Enjoy the trip

    ReplyDelete