Thursday 23 August 2012

German Movie

On my last day in Cartagena a few fellow riders arrived so I went over to see them, share some stories and some beer.
Werner & Claudia have been on the road for about 6 years and are slowly working their way back to Germany. There were also another German couple Kurt and Heidi (?) who have done just about the whole world! Plus a Belgian couple - Ills & her husband who was asleep I think.


Meeting these people, who have travelled so extensively in some pretty wild places makes me realise how little I have done in my few months. They are great fun and it seems likely that they will never stop travelling.

 There is a bike festival about to start in Germany so they wanted to do a video to send back for their friends. I was Cubby Brocolli for the moment. It took 7 takes as they either forgot what they were going to say or got the giggles. I have to say I think it has got the Best Cameraman Oscar written all over it. There seemed to be quite a few beer bottles in the way though.

Werner & Claudia have just come through Venezuela with a few more stories that were not exactly comforting. I think I will be heading through their a bit quicker than I had originally planned.

The Thunderstorm started right on cue at about 3.00 but very little rain this time so I headed back to my hotel to pack. I was up early for the six hour trip up to Riohacha. It started as a rather dull ride, not least of which because it was raining hard., but also because the scenery was a little ordinary.

The good news was that the scenery changed about half way. The cloud shrouded hills, dense tree cover and lots of rivers to cross was a nice change.
Then just when you have got used to this, it changes again. Taking only one bend to go from the "jungle" to the coast.
It was quite a surprise and uplifting to see a fresh view.

Getting close to Riohacha I wanted to fill up with fuel to use up my Peso's but despite there being 6 or 7 petrol stations, none of them had any fuel and I was waved away. However there were loads of guys with fuel in coke bottles and all manner of containers. I wasn't so desperate that I needed to risk it. I should have enough to get me a decent way in to Venezuela tomorrow.

Riohaccha is nice and unassuming. I had approached the hotel with some trepidation as the on line comments were dreadful but I couldn't find anywhere else. I don't know what happened when they were here but the hotel is right on the coast, the staff are friendly and the room is clean and has a great view.
 If I was going to invest in property in one town in South America - this would be it. This place doesn't appear to have been really discovered yet. Being only a few hours north of Cartagena with much nicer water and beaches  and a nicer climate so it surely must be a holiday spot of the future.
Not sure about the painted palm trees though.

I will head off to the border with Venezuela tomorrow and I am a little nervous of what I may find. Hopefully it will be like Bolivar where the stories were not my experience.








No comments:

Post a Comment