Friday 9 March 2012

Pucon to Los Angeles (no not that one)

Not much to report so I will keep it short and sweet;

The hotel Patagonia was nice but had a bad day; no hot water, for some reason they had to fumigate the whole place so we were all kicked out for 3 hours and then a powercut in the afternoon.

 I spoke to some Aussies at dinner the night before and they had done the hike to the top of the volcano - 5 hours. They said it was good but crowded. I am not surprised as the high street is full of people trying to sell you the tour. I don't have any hiking boots with me so was not on the agenda (I don't even have my brogues) & I am no great hiker but i do slightly regret not doing it.

I took another shot of the volcano this time showing a small column of smoke/steam. It last erupted about 20 years ago so the locals are happy to see it gurgling away as it suggests that another eruption is not building.


Pucon was very nice but it was time to head North again.The only road north is Ruta 5, a dual carriageway, not much fun but practical. Bumped in to another couple of bikers from Chile & there were more photos of the bike by passers by (they are not quite as fanatical as the argentinians though).

The scenery is one of agricultural but with the constant presence of Volcanos on the horizon. I don't know how many Chile has got but there are plenty of them. The temperature rose steadlily and reached 28 degrees by the time I got to Los Angeles and i was over dressed for that! From here on, and for some time, it will be sweaty riding followed by cool showers, shorts and flip flops.

It had been surpringly difficult to select a town & then an hotel in this "middle" part of Chile. But i plumped for Salto de los Laja, just North of Los Angeles. It is a quirky place but has one great benefit - the  waterfall. It may not be Iguazu but it is pretty good as a view from the room.

With little between me and Santiago in the way of interesting places to visit, I suspect i will get there slightly earlier than i had intended. I will just have to get some more Spanish lessons, I could certainly do with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment