Thursday 19 January 2012

Ola from Buenos Aires

Very smooth trip with no hiccups apart from it occured to me that i had forgotten to pack some English tea bags so pinched a couple from the airport lounge! I will have to resort to rationing measures by drying them out and re-using the pair of them for the next few months. I suspect there may be slightly more challenging issues ahead.
I would recommend TAM airways (especially if you turn left when embarking). Arrived on time in Sao Paolo and the connecting flight to BA was equally good. From the air SP & BA are bloody big cities but the surrounding country appears to be one big farm with field after field as far as you can see from 35,000 feet..
BsAs immigration was a bit of a wait, I think they must have been trained in NY but my luggage was waiting for me by the time i got out. Also Eddie had kindly organised a car to get me to my apartment.
Apartment is in a nice part of town Palermo - tree lined avenues with lots of little "local" shops and cafes - I have not seen one "branded"  outlet yet.
i haven't been mugged yet but i d see one, whilst having a beer at a bar on a busy intersection. Young, shirtless lad (with a mobile phone in had) runs past followed by several middle aged men - there was only going to be one winner in that race! The old boys tried to get the traffic cop involved but he couldn't have ambled over to discuss the situation any slower if he tried. He clearly was not going to get in a sweat chasing the lad. All rather good entertainment - when it isn't your phone!
Bike arrives Friday but i won't be able to collect until Monday or Tuesday.. International trade doesn't work at weekends? I dont mind not having the bike but it is a bit rich to be charged storage for something you can't influence.
Off to explore and buy a few thigns like a map - it could come in handy later on this trip.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your help! I was that middle age man giving chase! I will just have to buy a new phone.
    Glad to hear business class was adequate and hope the pillows at BA Intercontinental Hotel are not too hard for you, just shout if they are and I am sure those nice people at British Airways will fly some different ones out to you?
    I think the maps are a must as with your sense of direction you are probably sat in a bar in Palermo, on an island just off the coast of mainland Italy and the guy stealing the phone is part of the mafia's yts scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you having a Brazilian whilst you're there... or is seeing a mugger being chased by old men the closest thing you're going to have to a close shave?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovescatz - i am not letting anyone near me with scissors! Who is hiding behind the Lovescatz name?

    ReplyDelete