Friday 27 January 2012

Dont believe what they tell you about the beef in Argentina...........it is ten times better.

The customs computer obviously sprung into life yesterday  & they were keen (make that insistent) to exchange my hand written one for the printed version. Obviously i had to pay the 2 way cab fare!
I will only know if it is all ok when i try to get across the border in to Chile.

I dropped my laundry in to be done! The romance of travel eh?
Just about every street has a little laundry to go with the fruiterers, pharmacy, hardware stores, barbers etc. There are still shops that do photocoping - I can only assume people dont have the money, space or inclination to have Whites goods, that we take for granted, at home. It is charming, you dont see many empty units and they all wash their bit of pavement everymorning (probably t do with the amount of Dog Poo! That reminds me, their pavements leave a bit to be desired -holes & cracks everywhere plus unstable tiles. If you step on one of these (and there are many) the water underneath squirts up your leg. People pay good money to go to Hever Castle for their water maze.


There was a public display of outrage when the price of Buses and Metro went up from Ps1.9 (30p) to Ps 2.5.(40p).The 25%-30% inflation is killing them as their salaries certainly aren't keeping pace.



I thought i had seen a lot of dog walkers over the last few days - but this was a different league! In this little area of the park I counted over 100 dogs - probably about 8 per person walking them. If Landscape Architecture doesn't work out for Rosie i am sure she would enjoy this.


With my new found interest in Car Parks, I took a closer look at this one. The operator "Neuquin" (closest i can explain the name he gave me) was from Paraguay and he was very proud of his machine and took me for a ride up to the 6th floor. This places holds 250 cars (see i am learning something in class). Nice to see someone happy in their work. This is more than can be said for the Peruvian illegal immigrants protesting down town whilst chained together. Basically they are losing their ability to work after years of being here. They didn't look very happy.

Dinner in a local Parradilla (means BBQ i think) was 2 enormous sirloin steaks, each about 2 inches thick, cooked perfectly in the restaurant on an enourmous flame grill - Ps55 (about £8) - a coffee costs £2 (a nice one admittedly). How does that work?

Big day today at Spanish - we have a test to see if we get held back or go up a class - i am fed up with trying to conjugate bloody Spanish verbs whether they are regular or irregular. If only I had Wilks here to help me.

5 comments:

  1. May I offer another pearl of wisdom as the football information was not required! The reason the coffee was expensive in relative terms is probably as the coffee beans were Brazilian and they only shave the middle bit? Also more than happy to help with your Spanish herbs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, be watching your school grades dad ... hope you did your revision! i cant see all the pictures on the school internet, will have a look at them when i get home but it sounds like theres plenty of friends for kiwi :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wilks
    I watched a bit of the football on TV and it turned out to be a cracker. 2-0 to the poor team.
    It seems i managed without your help on the herbs front. Modesty forbids to say that i came top. Admittedly the Australian students were late and hung over after an enthusiastic celebration of Australia Day - one got in at 7am and the other a little later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Kevin,

    RV guys all emailed, awaiting replies.

    What sort of herbs are you having trouble with. is it mixed herbs or Oregano? That oregano can be a nightmare!

    I think weybiza must be in Argentina, every post office down here has a photocopier - 10p a copy

    this will make you smile, I have had to add 22kg of lead to E30 to bring it up to class weight, and that's with me in it :)

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great, lets see what gives. I did try one in the Uk but they havent even bothered to get back to me.
      Glad your diet is working, I assume you are in the 1.5 ton weight watchers sponsored car.

      Hasta la vista

      Delete