Monday 23 January 2012

Back to school with a vengance

A return to education was not a little daunting. It was not made any more comfortable by the initial "quiz" to gauge the level of knowledge amongst the disparate group of students. Needless to say the average age was south of 30! Amazingly i was othe only Brit - Brazilians, Aussies and Germans taking the lead. There is one very strange American (the only person older than me on the course). He introduced himself and stated to all and sundry that his only interest was to meet women! He went on to say that he was sadly disappointed and Argentina wasn't a patch on Ukraine.

Having read Rosies school books for a few hours, I was pretty confident of giving a good account of myself. How wrong I was. It was a progressive question and answer paper and I answered Q1, none too confidently, and that was where it stopped. I didn't anticipate such an unhealthy regard for the correct grammar!

Needless to say i found myself in room 204 with the other dunces (including the pervy American). The teacher Carolina, looked pretty depressed after 5 minutes - a Rasta Aussie called Julian, 2 Germans, the Pervert, a decent enough (if Ginger) Aussie and yours truly.
However, she soon worked out our level and we had a pretty good fun time. The Pervert couldn't handle thefirst hour and left, never to be seen again - which suited everyone!

The afternoon passed quickly and i know more than i did. I suspect I will have forgotten it all by tomorrow!
The younger members of the various classes didn't seem to mind the "old boy" coming along for a few beers after class. The great thing about students is that they know the best places to get cheap beer!

After one or four, I made my excuses as I really need to be on my mettle for the Customs officers first thing in the morning. This is probably the biggest challenge so far - to get the bike through customs without too many "considerations".

i still don't have anywhere to park the bloody thing, so could easily end up with two wheels and a saddle by Friday!

Oh, there is great excitement as the "Classico" football match in on this weekend - Boca v River Plate. A must see apparently- so a few of my new founds friends and i are going to try to get tickets for Saturdays game.

I will let you knwo how the day went with the customs and whether i got back, in one piece, from the airport through BsAs traffic!

Hasta La Vista

7 comments:

  1. Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.....

    Hi Kevin, would of been in touch earlier but some wally forgot to let me have the blog address! I got a mail from Liz & Mike yesterday with it on that had been forwaded onto them form Eddy!

    I'm sure that you didn't need too much persuasion from your fellow classmates to partake in a couple of ceveza! American guy sounds like he was on a mission, what was he hoping to learn - "how much for a good time?".

    Got the RV info, will be in touch.

    Now to find out who didn't pass on the blog details, i'm sure it wouldn't have been someone who likes driving at night with a dark visor on ..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello skipper - if you find out who it was please let me know!
    Dont you start, i have had enough from Wilks about that minor incident, can't you people move on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course we can if we can see a way out!

    Ps - don't mention the Belgrano

    ReplyDelete
  4. remember, when the customs officer asks you if you have anything to declare, don't say "nothing except the crack in my arse"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only mentioned that we were awake at 4 am and avoided the Armco I just thought the driver might manage it as well? Seems I touched a nerve?
    Hope you pointed the nice man at school from America in the direction of Weymouth, as I am sure he can live out the rest of his life very happy on the the Dorset coast? Sounds like a typical class at Bucklers Mead, Yeovil only difference is we didn't have teachers.
    Just to help you Boca jnrs play in Blue and Yellow and are associated with the Italian migrants, poor and working classes. River Plate play in red and White and are seen as the money men, affluent, prawn sandwich brigade, so I am sure someone at the 5* intercontinental can lend you a Man Utd or a scarf of a similar colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the man from America is going to Weymouth he surely wont need the phrase 'how much'

    Hope Customs are lenient with you and that you find secure garaging for the bike

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why Dorset? - we've got enough pervs, thank you - let him go back to the Ukraine! Hopefully your NBFs will keep you in check at the match.

    ReplyDelete