Wednesday 3 October 2012

Mugging number 2

I am sorry to say that the stories and rumours are true.

I have walked along Ipanema beach just about every day without a hint of trouble. Today was probably just bad timing on my part. I had walked up the the far end of the beach past the dunes and the rocks. Returning I took the same route, just at the edge of the water.

Then at the dunes I felt someone try to snatch my Kindle out of my hand from behind. I held on to it and swung round. It was a fat kid 14-16 I should think. He made another  lunge for it so I smacked him in the mouth. He looked a bit surprise. At this point about 5 or 6 other teenage lads and a couple of girls had slid down the dune and surrounded me.

It crossed my mind to smack the kid again, but not knowing whether they had knives it seemed best to let him have the Kindle. Emboldened they then snatched my sunglasses and Swatch. Whilst this was happening I was trying to explain to them that the glasses had my prescription lenses in them and were useless and that the Kindle was in English. Even if my Portuguese was brilliant I suspect it would have made no difference. The Swatch is so old, the face is badly scarred and no great loss. They kept asking for money, I had some but the pocket in my new shorts is so discreet they didn't see it so I kept telling them I didn't have any. They left with out the cash (it was only enough for a spot of lunch anyway).


The only violence was me hitting the kid so at no point was it frightening. What really pissed me off is that the people nearby do nothing. I went up to them when the kids had run off. And asked "Why didn't you help?" The vendor just shrugged his shoulders and the fisherman said he didn't see - bloody liar! Such a shame, as everywhere else people have been really helpful. I assume they are as poor as the kids from the Favelas doing the stealing so see it as some form of social levelling.

It hasn't put me off but I am fed up because the Kindle was a gift from work colleagues and I was only half way through Keith Richards autobiography (very good read if you are looking for a book). I will see if I can get one in Rio and upload the books from my laptop (since checked and they are not on there).

I also have my original Ray Bans (with prescription lenses) so I will still look the coolest guy on the beach (not)............errrr just tried to find them and they have gone too. That could have been any time in the last 10 months!

Looks like I have to go shopping.

It could have been worse I could have lost the camera, how terrible would that be? No more wild life shots for David Attenborough.

Don't let it put you off visiting this amazing city, I will be back on the beach tomorrow (but perhaps not near the dunes)



13 comments:

  1. Ah geez Kev, no good. Let me know if they take your jocks too, we have a spare pair back here we can send you, although... I think they are touring Oktoberfest at the moment. I must have missed mugging #1... ? Will have to go back and do some reading. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason they got the Kindle, glasses and watch was because I was clinging on to my jocks (this is quite a Gay area). glad to hear they are still travelling the world! Mugging 1 was a tame affair in Santiago.

      Any news on skiing at Christmas?

      Cheers

      Delete
    2. haha fair enough!
      Nope, no news on the skiing yet. Things are moving very slowly. We attempted to look into other resorts but as most of our friends are watching their wallets we were priced out of most. At the moment either St Anton or Val d'Isere is winning as they are the most reasonable. Snow quality is a concern too, hence St Anton was thrown back into the mix. Will keep you and the clan posted.

      Delete
    3. If you can stand Family A (or were we B) I am sure the kids would love a repeat!


      Cheers

      Delete
  2. So the Police are now looking for a myopic, well read individual with a fat lip, who keeps good time, speaks excellent English & has more friends than the person he mugged!

    Sorry to hear - perhaps it's time to come home. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right on all counts BUT "time to come home?".

      It was only a little mugging, lets not lose sense of proportion here. Indeed I went back along the beach today and I examined every woman, I mean person, on the beach in great detail!

      Delete
    2. Ok.... good for you... but take care!

      Delete
  3. Once unlucky, twice a natural target????????????????? thrice .. we will not go there.
    Not funny Kev but guess it goes with the territory and where one roams and how. Off to Atlanta in the morrow so not planning to wander outside unless in full view of Joe public or inside a locked auto.
    TTFN,
    DHM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather get mugged on an Ipanema beach than go to another NAPSLO conference - good luck with that!

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about mugging 2, better to have given up the Kindle just in case they had knives. I prefer Enzo to Scarface, although scarface might get you a better position in the paddocks at Le Mans Classic in future years!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, where was the Luger when you really needed it? (still in my desk actually). Sorry to hear about M2. I dont know if you still get the UK papers on your Ipad, but if you do, you will be aware that another old cigar smoking rocker has been found messing around with kids but in his case, not on the beach.
    Do you have a hotel mailing address I could send a Kindle to by UPS or DHL - you can download what you need from a local hotspot, but I will put Keith on it for you before I send. Email me if you have somewhere I can send it to. Henry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generous offer but I do not think it would make it through the Brazil postal service.

      I have managed to buy some English books, ironically one is Mick. A biography of Mick Jagger - what a tyke he was/is (I haven't finished it yet).

      Delete