Tuesday 23 October 2012

Iguazu Falls, Iguassu Falls or Iguaçu Falls - take your pick

After a comfortable stay in a very quiet hotel in Ponta Grosso I was up early and headed for Foz do Iguacu and the waterfalls. It wasn't quite as early as I thought as they changed the clocks without telling me. Do they have any idea who I am?

The scenery was again pleasant without being spectacular. What was impressive was the miles and miles of fields growing Soya. This is a very wealthy agricultural part of Brazil. It is normal to pass towns with substantial equipment dealers with rows of new Tractors and Combine Harvesters - not just one or two but dozens. There is also a lot of pine between the farms and this makes the air very refreshing (which is nice as I have a bit of a cold).

The towns look prosperous and the roads are immaculate, mind you they know how to charge tolls. I should think it cost nearly 100 Reals to get from Curitiba to Foz..It sort of demonstrates that Brazil is two distinct countries - the north is poor, has terrible roads and no tolls (the locals couldn't afford them). Yet the south has everything. Something is not working in the Government or they would be distributing funds more appropriately.

I must have had the luck of the Oirish - I kept coming across wet roads (where it must have rained a few minutes before) but at no point did I see any rain. There was one gruesome moment in one of the towns. There had been an accident where a truck had clattered a motorbike. The black body bag isn't a sight you want to see too often! At least it had the effect of slowing me down........for about a mile or so.

The hotel was easy to find and I was given pride of place to park my bike - right by the front door! just as well it was under cover as there was a terrific thunderstorm during the night.

The Falls are in a national park and you can not take private vehicles (not even a motorbike). It was a short walk from the hotel to the Park entrance. For about £15 you get a bus the 18 kms to the Falls and your entry. You can get off at various places along the route depending how far you would like to walk through the forest.
The Falls are just that, lots of them (150 - 300 depending on how much water is flowing at any given time) spread over 2.7 kms spilling off the edge of the plateau and in to the "Devils throat" about 100 meters below. You are given a glimpse of what is to come and I was in danger of being underwhelmed.I need not have worried.
As you walk further along the pathways, through the rain forest, you get a sense that there is more to come.



There is a spectacular walkway out in to the middle of the cataract and there is a palpable sense of power on the platform. It is also very wet!
Ok last photo (taken from the walkway) before you all die of boredom: Oh and by the way, the other side of the water is Argentina.

I will leave the final comment to Eleanor Roosevelt who, upon seeing Iguacu exclaimed "Poor Niagra"
(which a third shorter).

At the entrance to the park is an Aviary. I am not keen on Zoos but this one is different. The aviaries are huge and built in the natural surroundings of the rain forest. Although there are some small cages with some amazing coloured Parrots in them, the majority are in huge frames which you walk inside with the birds. 

Guinness anyone?
There was a "professional" photographer with his lenses, lights and of course his tropical shirt and shorts. This Toucan was obviously interested what he had up his shorts...
 By the way, Toucans make a noise like a Pig grunting - I knew you would be fascinated.I didn't realise there are so many different types but these (like the Blue Bobbies) are my favourite.

They have aviaries for Humming birds - these things zip past you like bullets and make a similar noise, as well as Butterflies - the weather was not great so not many of them flying about but they do have some enormous types.
I have lots of pictures of the birds, if any of you are really interested but much better to come and see them for yourselves. Oh and there are these ring tailed fellows running around too. I was told they are Agouti's but having looked that up on the web, I am not so sure.

I will be heading further South BUT I have a dilemma. My passport only has 6 spaces left for Immigration stamps (and that will require some deft skill with the rubber stamp). I will need one to leave Brazil and one when I finally leave Argentina for England. That leaves me 4 - which is only enough for one more country (exit, entrance & exit, entrance). I have to decide whether to visit Paraguay or Uruguay. After much consideration I am going to skip Paraguay. There doesn't appear to be a lot to see, the roads are reputed to be pretty poor and the police corrupt. I have heard all this before but this time I have to miss somewhere, so that is that. And you lot think you have it tough!

The rare Toucan for Wilks:

And for Clara - the "Maid of the mists" boat. They do not get up to the BIG falls:

4 comments:

  1. The Toucan with the blue, green and yellow bill are far more rare but you have to leave your air conditioned hotel and go into the jungle and sleep in a tent to see them! (TENT)a green thing with poles and rope! you may find one still in its wrapper on the bike?
    Any of the Badger Bollock Beer Drinkers going to Fiji game at Twickers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what one of these?............picture added to bottom of blog.

    Tent? No idea what you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "On the Road Again"....... shame to have had to leave Rio because of noisy builders!! I really can't believe that you are 10 months into your trip and about to re-enter into Argentina, where it all started!

    I wonder does Iguacu have a "Maid of the Mist"?! Niagra has one!!

    Will look into the Eng/Fiji game Wilks - are you going? He has no intention of using that tent you know!! Just think what else he could have been carrying around.

    Clara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it seems amazing to me too!

    It doesn't have a big boat like maid of the mist but they do have Zodiac (rubber boats) that go up to smaller falls. I missed the bus stop to catch one of them!

    Are you thinking - if I hadn't brought the tent I could have brought my hair drier & curling tongs?

    Enjoy the game if you go!

    ReplyDelete