Tuesday 12 June 2012

In Paracas with Socrates (no not the Brazilain footballer)

Having spent the best part of the last two months in hostels I felt I deserved some of the luxuries of life, like hot water and a mirror to shave. I scanned the horizon for a nice place to spend my time before heading for Lima and my flight back to Blighty. Just up the coast from Huacachina is Pisco, home of the distilleries that make the spirit that goes in to Pisco Sours. By reputation it is not a great place to stay but just next door is Paracas.

There are some expensive hotels (by comparison) here and, given that I have been living in £10 per nights places I think the kids can afford it for a week.
I had some fun and games finding the place as the roads to the hotel are not finished. It is some of the most "off road" stuff I have done as had to negotiate the piles of hardcore dumped by the lorries but still waiting to be levelled. It kept the workers amused as I couldn't believe I was on the right track so passed the same way at least 4 times! They probably thought I was practicing for the Dakar 2013 by the skill I exhibited.

As you can see it is not exactly hectic here. The excellent pool bar is staffed by two nice guys. There are European flags hanging from the rafters and a large TV which is tuned to the Euro Football. As luck would have it I arrived for the second half of England v France. I sat and watched the rather dreary 2nd half whilst my room was made ready (I can't imagine why they did not have a room ready given that I think I am the only resident). The total takings from the bar that day were my beers!

After the football I wandered along the long white beach and retired with my Kindle to a deck chair in the shade. It is 30 degrees here and the sun is very strong (how is the flooding/heatwave in the UK?).
In case it is too much effort to walk to the bar or you are too impatient to wait for service, each sunshade has a call button on it!

At breakfast this morning I found that old habits die hard. Whilst in hostels you are lucky if you get 1 tea bag at breakfast so you learn to squeeze 2 or 3 cups out of it (that is, if you could get any more hot water). The waiter thought it very strange that I was jealously guarding my used tea bag when he came to clear my cup. I did apologise after pinning him to the wall by his throat.

I doubt there will be many more blogs from here as I am far too busy with my Ipod and Kindle.

For what it is worth I have just finished another great book. God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens - a God amongst atheists (yes the pun is intended).
If you have faith and want to retain it, do not read this book. If you want an intelligent and clear explanation of Religion and all its faults then this is the book for you! There are some classic You tube clips of him calmly tearing the religious orders apart.

I wondered about putting a blog on here of the books I have read with "Points out of 10" but given that we are all different I shan't.

I am working my way through the philosophers at present (spurred on by Hitchens) interesting but not many laughs.

Right, which sunbed do I fancy today...........................

8 comments:

  1. Surprised that you have not been contacted by the RSPCT : Royal Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Tents, poor thing has been stuck in your panniers for the past 5 months without even an airing. Enjoy your luxurious stay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really was going to camp at Huacachina but Duncans bike gave up so we needed a place with wifi.

      Thats my excuse and I am sticking to it!

      Delete
  2. He could try it out in Le Mans perhaps Phil? You jammy B, it looks like just the job! Put your thermals on for next week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Message for Henry Clara - 1967 road legal version 1967 GT40 for sale, RM Auctions, Monterey, California, August. Two previous owners, 4,749 miles, estimate £1.8m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would that be Steve McQueens GT40?

      Henry is good but I have never seen him clear a barbed wire fence on a triumph whilst being chased by Germans. i think that may affect the value (but still not the amount Wilks is offering).

      Delete
  4. So the way Henry has thrashed the arse off his he should snatch my hand off when I offer him £180.00 for his? Plus his hasn't got a cd player for my Matt Munroe disc's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very low estimate so I guess it is a bit knackered. Having said that, mine has now done over 5500 miles so must be much more knackered and less valuable - though it has never been jumped over a barbed wire fence - through hedges maybe !!

      "0n Days Like These", Clara is writing out a very long shopping list, but I have told her she can only spend £170 as I want enough of Wilk's cash left to buy a couple of Blandford Fly's, or Shagweavers, or anything that Tom has had no part in preparing.

      Looking forward to seeing you all at LM and will email shortly re a venue for Sunday dinner - unless you already have a plan.

      Henry.

      Delete
  5. Sunday dinner will be lovely (assuming some prat doesn't put the Lola in the Armco again).

    Not sure how many we will be but somewhere around 6-10 I suspect.
    No Wilks but Tom will be there! Do they sell Lemon Cello in France?

    ReplyDelete