Sunday 19 February 2012

One for Pat

Pat
I see you have had a look at this Blog & have a fantastic trip lined up.I tried to send you a note to your blog but failed miserably. So here it is on mine:
Forgive me if you know all this alreay - BUT I think you will be doing well to get to TDF in a week from BsAs in April. I also have it on good authority (Sandra at Dakar motos) that Ruta 3 is best avoided until past Bahia Blanca (the big trucks have made the road a mess). Even from Comodoro Rividavia it is pretty poor (from experience).
You may know this too, but do not try to divide the miles by an an average speed - it will take you longer than you think (I was doing 90 mph wherever possible), especially where Ferries & border crossings are concerned.
TDF is already at freezing point in the mornings and it is still "summer" here so be careful.
One last tip - be careful of fuel stops the further South you get!

Any questions I will be happy to offer what I know from the last month. If you really are going at the pace you hope for then we may well meet in the northern part of Sud America.

Bueno Suerte
Delbert

4 comments:

  1. Kevin. Annoying problem with the front shock. As you say it is Okay to ride but your bike will pogo as no rebound dampening. You could have handling problems on a rough road. I assume you have ESA on the bike? Note that when shock removed. Not sure if BMW will rebuild shock but should be a warranty item .. Are you able to get to a BMW dealer or just local shop Local shop hopefully can repair as probably just a seal. Anyway good luck. You will get it sorted out. Enjoying the blog. All the very best Miguel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Migeul
      Luckily the road from here to El Calalfate is pretty much all paved so i should be ok. As I have not been able to find a moto mechanic in Pt As I will have to miss the Caretera Austral and take the ferry to Puerto Montt. It is probably the right thing to do being solo. The BMW shop is in Santiago!

      Delete
  2. Hoi Delbert,

    I hope your bike is fixed by now.
    about TDF, yes indeed it is cold, we are in the snow in Ushuaia right now.
    Maybe we find eachtother on the road, we are following your blog from now on.
    Johan & Ils
    Kiss the ride

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ils

    No, spent 2 days walking around Pt As. Nothing doing. I had two address but one is shut tight and the other doesn't seem to exist.
    It was cold when i left a few days ago & glad i got out in time then!
    where are you heading from Ush? I am going to El Calafate and then taking the ferry from Pt Natales to Purto Montt. Are you riding the Car Austral? I dont think I dare do it with the damper as it is.

    Suerte!

    ReplyDelete