Sunday 12 February 2012

Heading Further South

Forgot to mention, on the way to Bariloche,  I went through a nice little town called Angostura but I am not bitter about it.

I was tempted to stay another day in Bariloche as i could easily have gone fishing on my own now that i know were the river is. Trouble is I am looking at the weather further south and I just dont want to risk a tempest
.
The first 50 miles out of Bariloche were at least as good as the road from San Martin. Beautiful scenery and a lovely drivers road - Shame i couldn't pack the Ducati as well - it would have been perfect!. I stopped for a coffee at the Petrol station in El Bolson.
By the way, there are always queues at their Petrol stations because they are not self service. Despite having 8 pumps they only have 2 or 3 attendants. It must be something to do with job creation or protection.
The lady took one look at the coffee machine, hit it hard with her hand & then said there is no coffee! There is not much you can say to that so i drank my bottle of water and went on my way.
It did give me a chance to take a picture of a Gaucho (he was across the road so i thought i was safe), you can just see the horses legs if you look closely. Timing is everything in life.


What this tour needs is a proper photographer. i am the only one of the 5 of us that has never had an interest in cameras. Sam has already told me to get a proper camera!

Saw more than the usual number of bikes today and bumped into these guys just 10 kms short of Esquel.

One of them had a 200cc Jawa whose alternator wasn't working. It also seemed to be spitting more oil out of its exhaust pipes than the Torrey Canyon. They somehow fettled it and went off. None of their bikes were particularly powerful so i did the honourable thing and gave them a few minutes head start...........and then shot past them.

It was a relatively short day on the bike today to Esquel, a nice if unremarkable town up in the mountains. the reason for all the bikes is that there is some form of gathering in a field at the beginning of the town. I will go and have a look tomorrow if i stay another day and see what is happening.

 You may remember how sublime the view was from my last hotel window, I didn't do quite so well this time: Tom will be pleased, I wasn't over budget on this one. Actually i can't go over or under budget as i haven't got one!

I watched TV for the first time in weeks as I found a bar with the Premiership highlights (the Toon getting stuffed by Spuds was not my idea of a highlight). The owner was a Rugby fan (played for Mar Del Plata and then BsAs) so he kindly put the Rome match on - not many highlights there either (apart from the result).

The young men in towns are the same the world over. Lots of large exhuast pipes on Renault 12's or Fiat 600's etc. They like to burn up the town at about 2:00 in the morning but it didnt spoil another lovely day.




No comments:

Post a Comment